[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
ATVRYDE.COM • View topic - Your stories- how did you get into ATVS ?

ATVRYDE.COM

Offroad Vehicle Discussions
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

Lets hear your stories.
Mines rather winded, so Ill let everyone else go first. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am 

Well, around 2006/2007 I decided my entire childhood I thought atvs/utvs/dirt bikes were cool, so I decided to get into them as a complete noob.

I got a blaster (quadjunkies knows! :)) and a raptor 350. I now have a Z400 and a Rzr and a KDX bike.

I am still far from a pro but learning more every time i go out. I got into it because it looked fun as a kid, and oh boy is it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:27 pm 

All it took was Troy wanted to get Kelsey an ATV when she was 8 yrs old.. so we purchaced a 2000 Kasea Skyhawk . Within the next year we would own TWO more quads.
I bought a 300ex for Troy for his Bday (surpirse gift )and within a month, we traded it in for a 400ex before he killed himself on the 300 (he thought he was a Mnt. Goat :lol: :oops: ) and I went and bought myself a 300ex(we should have have just kept kept it for me)...but at the time I really didnt want to ride .
That was.. until I figured out how to shift (gave myself whiplash the first time-no joke ! ) so we bought myself an 02 300ex.
Brandon would get an Eton Viper 50cc for his 5th Bday . And thats when Weiser became an EVERY wk end Warrior that we could get time off work for and go sand camping .
We took a trip to St. Anythonys that same ( or maybe following year ,cant remember ) and really fell in love with REAL sand riding. We would do an annual trip on Fathers Day once a year .
But then Troy ran into a freind of ours (Shane VanLueven) ran into Troy at Hemmingway once and rode together abit and told us about Flat track racing at Caldwell. By this time , I had got addicted to learning as much as I could about Quads and the racing scene. I reeeeally had the itch to try, Troy thought I was nuts. HA !
Once day after a ride at Weiser, we decided to go check a race out .
Bad idea, because I wanted IN the next wk end . :lol:
So, with our HOKEY EX set ups, Troy and I went out and raced our 1st flattrack and that pretty much set the addiction .
Kelsey went out as well at a later time and would be the very first mini ATV to race solo .
We also met Paul Ormsby about this same time frame and Craig Frisch and they took us to OMC to check out the MX. Troy was instantly drawn to the Motocross track and caught on fairly quickly.
So with allll that in mind... were moving to where we can race every wk end somewhere and were packing up and Moving to Nevada this spring. Unfortunately, Kelsey will be staying behind to go to BSU in the fall, but Brandon has high hopes for WORCS Championship at least once before hes done .lol

Such good times we have had and such great people in the Sport . I am so very greatful for all we have been blessed to do and places we have to got to see . These are things we will take with us for years to come .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm 

I first got into off-road toys when I was in High School. I had a friend whose dad had the ultimate toy garage, they had Banshee's and ATC's, all Hondas basically 250 and 350x's and a sweet mint condition Honda 250r that I swear it must have been the fastest thing on 4 wheels, so I cut my teeth riding these toys in the summer of 1992 on a trip down to the Baja.

This trip was an epic adventure, we basically camped and rode where they run the Baja 1000. We rode all day and slept on the beach at night. I was hooked! We went up and down the coast and explored wrecked ships and tackled monster dunes, one so large my brother Ben thought he, combined with the powers of the 250r was Superman. He took a little too much air and crashed.... So we were hooked and 11 years later I was able to buy my first ATV, a 2002 Honda 400EX that magically turned into a KFX400 and then turned into a Can-Am Outlander 650 and then somehow spawned a Toy hauler, Truck and other "necessary" gear...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 am 

Nick had gone out with one of his old high school friends and they both bought quads. Nick got a (1999 I think?) Warrior, brand new. His friend got a wolverine. They were riding every single weekend, and I was the photo bitch for them. I got tired of that and then Nick started letting me ride on the back. Did that for about one season. Then when winter hit we were up at the family cabin, about 3 feet of snow all around & we had the quad out on a groomed road, playing around. I asked if I could ride it on my own, and i guess he thought it wasn't such a bad idea....long story short, he sat on a rock for about 40min, while I went back & forth figuring it all out. When done, I told him I didn't want to ride on the back anymore, this was too much fun! So, started testing out some machines, thought I wanted a utility the whole time, and Nick thought I needed a sport quad of some sort. He talked me into trying a 300EX and I loved it! That Valentines day he got me a 300EX! After that, we had been going with Rick to the flat track races just watching, last race of the season they had a powder puff race...it was at that point that I wanted to race. Once I had decided to race, Nick had no choice...he was racin too :lol: That was 2003.......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 pm 

Kate,

Are you healing up from you last "incident?" Takes longer and longer the older your get! ;)

Ours: Can-Am 650 Max XT "The Beast"
Talent, Priceless...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 pm 

I am. Ribs don't bother me much unless I sneeze or cough. The damage I did to ligaments in my neck & back are worse feeling! Started PT this past week. Yeah...don't bounce back as easy from injuries..... :lol: It's not deterring me though. I'll be back on again, just as soon as I can look over my shoulders.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am 

When I wrecked at the FT, I remember literlally seeing stars and my neck and back went CRUNCH !
When you hear that sound you swear it broke. LOL !
Sad part is , my back has never been the same and Im suspecting the disc is needing surgery now . BOOO !! :cry: :roll:

Godo to hear your getting PT... Wish that would have been offered to me and Kelsey when we had our injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:43 pm 

So that's why we never jump quads (well we make "hops"). You just can't control them like you can a bike, and I've seen plenty of nasty bike crashes. If god had intended quads to fly.... Well, you get the picture. :mrgreen:

Ours: Can-Am 650 Max XT "The Beast"
Talent, Priceless...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:50 pm